BC Covid-19 Government Updates - May 6, 2020
Provincial Government Update - BC'S Restart Plan: 4 Phase Plan
Phase 1: Essential Services Operations
We are currently in Phase 1 of the 4 Phase Restart Plan.
- Enhanced resources for hospitals and health care
- Child care for essential workers
- K-12: online and in-class learning
- Non-essential businesses
Phase 2: Under Enhanced Protocols
Beginning in mid-May under enhanced protocols.
- Starting May 19 more non-essential businesses will be allowed to open (hairdressers, bars, restaurants, etc.) in keeping with safe operations plans, supported by WorkSafeBC
- Small social gatherings permitted
- Elective surgeries and regulated health services like physiotherapy, dentistry, chiropractors and in-person counseling resume
- Recall the provincial legislature for regular sittings
- Expand in-person schooling K-12 (voluntary)
- Provincial Parks:
- May 14: provincial parks open for day-use only
- June 1: many remaining facilities, including campgrounds, will reopen
- A small number of parks that pose a health risk will remain closed
- Re-Opening business:
- Sectors that were ordered closed: asked to work with WorkSafeBC to develop plans to reopen safely
- WorkSafeBC is developing industry-specific guidance
- Any business restarting operations must ensure it is in compliance with the provincial health officer's orders and in accordance with occupational health and safety guidance provided by WorkSafeBC
Phase 3: Further Expanded Enhanced Protocols
Roll out between June and September 2020 if transmission rates remain low or in decline.
- Open additional businesses and services
- More parks open, camping resumes
- Film and TV production
- Movie theatre
- Personal services (spas and non-medical massage)
- Hotels and resorts
Phase 4: Treatment/Vaccine
Achieved when the threat of COVID-19 has been significantly diminished.
- Conditional on at least one of:
- Wide vaccination
- "Community" immunity
- Broad successful treatments
- Large gatherings (i.e. concerts and conventions)
Click here for a WorkSafeBC Backgrounder.
Click here for backgrounders on schools and parks